Monday 15 February 2016

The waiting game

So here I am. Sat on the sofa with a hot water bottle on my back at 41 weeks and one day pregnant. Wow. I never thought I'd make it to this stage let alone with Thomas still inside me but alas here I am. And as my mother in law keeps reminding me - babies have their own timetable! 

It's such a strange feeling knowing that you are so close to meeting the child that you created with the love of your life and yet still so far away. Will it be tonight? I wonder...  Or tomorrow? The honest question is who knows? And the honest answer is nobody. Apart from little fella himself.

Having said all of this though it's not all been calm on the Western front. I genuinely thought I was going into labour on Saturday night when i came out of my lovely relaxing bath to constant shooting pains up my back and what I can only describe as furious kicking by the now not so little fella. 


Being a modern woman I quickly downloaded a contractions app from the App Store and started to time the rather painful contractions. I kept the timer going for 45 minutes and when the "go to hospital now" warning came up on the screen I did feel a slight urge to panic. 

And then it all went quiet.

No we didn't turn the TV off or suddenly turn mute. It all went quiet on the pain and contractions front. It stopped. I felt great again. Had a piece of toast and managed to get a really good nights sleep. Such a strange experience. To go through all of that pain in such a short space of time. To build yourself up for the real thing. And then nothing. I can honestly say I've never experienced anything like it in my entire life. And am scared about it happening again.

So back to today. Or indeed this week. I am keeping busy and trying my best to take my mind off things. Had a lovely lunch out with my mum and Paige and I'm about to do some teaching. Oh yes dear reader. Once a teacher; always a teacher. And just because I'm on maternity leave it doesn't mean that I am going to stop.

I'm going to the hospital on Wednesday morning to be monitored by the fetal assessment team and then to have a membrane sweep (nice) and then if that doesn't bring on labour (eeek). I will be back in on Friday to be induced. 

So as much as you can try to plan and predict and guess and hope and wonder nobody really knows when baby is ready to come out by himself (perhaps he's just a little bit too comfy in there) - but one thing is for sure however it happens (naturally or with a little help from a pessary) - he will be here by the end of the week whether we are ready for him or not. 

And that is both an amazing and very scary thing! 




No comments:

Post a Comment